The drug “Topaz” for grapes is an effective fungicide that requires careful adherence to the recommended dosages and instructions for use. Gardeners need to observe a certain waiting period after spraying plants, but in general the product is of low toxicity, does not pose a threat to shoots or fruits. A detailed review will help to understand the features of the use of the drug “Topaz”, observe all precautions during processing.
The universal chemical fungicide “Topaz” is suitable for grapes and other stone fruits, but it is also used for the treatment and prevention of fungal diseases in vegetable and flower crops.. The drug destroys pathogenic microflora at the level of mycelium. It is most effective against such grape diseases as rust, powdery mildew (American), fruit rot, oidium.
“Topaz” is a monocomponent remedy, its main ingredient is penconazole.
The release of the drug is carried out in a concentrated form, in ampoules of 2 ml, as well as in a dosage of 100 ml, in bottles designed for multiple use, there is also a powder that requires prior dissolution in water. The active substance has a high permeability in plant tissues. The effectiveness of the drug formula is limited to only a few types of pathogens of fungal diseases. With a complex defeat of the bushes “Topaz” is combined with other chemicals.
Among the features of antifungal drugs based on penconazole can be identified:
- no restrictions on weather conditions – can be sprayed in the rain;
- high rate of absorption of the drug by plant tissues;
- preservation of biological activity at temperatures up to -10 degrees;
- possibility of use for prevention and treatment.
The principle of operation of “Topaz” is simple. When it enters the organs and tissues of the plant, it blocks the spores of pathogenic microorganisms. Deprived of the opportunity to increase the volume of their colony, they die.
The drug penetrates into the tissues of the plant through the epidermis of the stems and leaves, enters the juice, and then spreads throughout the bush.
The shelf life of ampoules and vials is 4 years. After this period, the drug can not be used.
Instructions for use
It is necessary to spray the plants superficially with the Topaz preparation, along the branches and leaves. It is better to choose dry and calm weather for work. But if the disease is actively developing, spraying is also possible in the rain. The preparation of the drug takes place taking into account its form of release.
- A powdery substance in the form of a blue crystalline substance must be diluted with water to a state of suspension. Enough 10-50 ml for 2 mg of the product. The resulting concentrate is thoroughly stirred, then added to water at the rate of 1 serving per 10 liters of water. At a lower concentration, the solution will show low efficiency even with preventive treatment.
- Topaz emulsion at a dosage of 2 ml can be immediately dissolved in a bucket of water. This saves time for preparing the solution. From a 100 ml bottle, it is easiest to draw the required amount of funds for a single spraying with a syringe. The dosage is doubled when treating grapes for damage by oidium or powdery mildew – 4 ml per 10 liters of water.
The standard consumption of the prepared solution is 1,5 liters per 10 m2 of the vineyard. The waiting time for complete absorption of the solution is about 3 hours. After this time, the product is no longer afraid of precipitation that can reduce the concentration of the solution. Do not be afraid of getting fungicide on the soil. In such an environment, it quickly decomposes into safe components that do not harm the environment.
There are certain waiting times for re-spraying. They are aged to avoid overdose of the substance.
When treating grapes, re-spraying is performed no earlier than 14 days later. At the same time, it is worth assessing the condition of the plant, the presence of changes indicating the effectiveness of the measures taken.
For preventive purposes, vineyards are sprayed 4 times during the season:
- after bud break;
- at the end of flowering;
- after the formation of brushes;
- before harvesting (no later than 20 days before reaching technical ripeness).
This procedure will help prevent fungal infections in the vineyard, keep the bushes healthy, and create an additional protective shell against the penetration of pathogenic microflora.
When Topaz is combined with other chemical preparations, their effectiveness will increase, the action of the funds will be prolonged.
This is important to consider so as not to start re-processing ahead of time. Substances must have time to be removed from the tissues so that their concentration is not too high.
“Topaz” refers to chemical fungicides of the III hazard class. It does not pose a high threat to the health of people and animals, but some precautions are still worth observing.
- Mandatory use of protective gloves, goggles and a respirator. They are put on even at the stage of opening the vial or ampoule, they are not removed until the end of spraying.
- Preparation of the solution in a well-ventilated area. It is optimal if the work will be carried out directly on the site.
- Use exclusively a plastic container not intended for harvesting. The solution is stored away from food utensils. It would be better if fungicides were initially allocated their own dishes.
- Exclusion of contact of the drug with the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, mouth. If contact occurs when spraying the solution, rinse immediately with plenty of clean water. At the end of the spraying work, it is worth taking a shower to completely wash off the remnants of the drug that accidentally got on it from the skin.
- Protection of reservoirs from contact with “Topaz”. For fish and other inhabitants of ponds or rivers, it is very toxic, it can provoke the death of a population or individual individuals.
- The need to prevent contact of domestic animals, grazing livestock with the fungicide. At the time of processing, as well as within 3 hours after it, it is better to protect pets from free movement.
- Child Protection. Even empty ampoules and vials must be disposed of, and full ones should be kept where they will be inaccessible to younger family members.
Given all these recommendations, you can avoid possible complications associated with the use of the Topaz chemical preparation. With the correct dosage, the solution will be completely safe for the vineyard, it does not have phytotoxic properties, which means it excludes a possible impact on future yield or taste of the fruit.