Climatic conditions in different regions of Russia differ significantly. Therefore, it is very important to choose the right variety of cabbage for planting in order to reap a good harvest. Consider the most popular mid-season and late varieties.
Dates of sowing cabbage seeds for seedlings
It is necessary to transplant seedlings into open ground strictly observing the terms, as well as sowing seeds for seedlings.
- Early sowing threatens that the plants may freeze and die, they will need additional lighting and enhanced hardening to stop growth;
- Late – the seedlings will outgrow and stretch out, they will hurt more often, take root worse, and will lose their resistance to frost.
The age of cabbage from germination to transplanting into open ground should be:
- early and late varieties, 45 – 50 days;
- for mid-ripening, 35 – 40 days.
Having performed simple calculations, you can identify the approximate sowing time for growing seedlings in Central Russia:
- for late ripening varieties, from March 21 to April 10;
- mid-season, April 1-20.
- Among the mid-season, Kalibos, Gako can be distinguished.
- The most popular late ones are Corsair and Garanci F1.
The time from sowing to harvesting is 135 to 150 days. The varieties are resistant to drought and unpretentious to the soil. This species does not tolerate frost well, therefore it is grown mainly in the southern regions.
White cabbage varieties
White cabbage – belongs to the most frost-resistant types of cabbage. The growing season is 130 days on average. The best varieties are distinguished, distinguished by abundant productivity and resistance to fungal diseases.
For the south of Russia and the Moscow region
- mid-season varieties: Aggressor, Slava, Gift;
- late ripening: Sugarloaf, Amager, Valentine.
For growing in the Urals and Siberia
- middle: Slavyanka, Nadezhda, Stakhanovka, Sibiryachka;
- late ripening: Blizzard, Winter mushroom.
The varieties have excellent taste and are suitable for both salads and fermentation.
Growing this type of cabbage in the southern regions and central Russia should be limited to early varieties, since the later ones do not take root. From the moment of sowing the seeds to the removal of the fruits, it takes from 120 to 140 days.
For Moscow region
- Early ripening;
For the Urals and Siberia
- medium-ripe variety: Amerigo Blanca;
- late: Cortez F1.
These are the most productive varieties for cultivation in Russia.
Brussels and kohlrabi
These species are grown in the southern zone of Russia or in greenhouse conditions in the Moscow region, as they are thermophilic.
- Hercules is the best mid-season Brussels sprouts. Fully ripens 100-110 days after planting seedlings in the ground;
- The best mid-early variety of kohlrabi is Vienna White, the later one is Gigant. They bear fruit well and are unpretentious in care.
Savoy cabbage – versatile varieties
Undemanding in care and high-yielding. To date, breeders have bred hybrids, which are the most popular, as they easily tolerate heat and cold, and therefore are universal and suitable for growing anywhere in Russia.
- Mid-season varieties of Savoy cabbage: Sphere F1, Melissa F1;
- late ripening: Alaska F1, Stylon F
Cabbage heads have excellent varietal and taste qualities, are stored for a long time.
When calculating the timing of sowing cabbage seeds, you must take into account the climatic conditions of your particular region. The calculation formula will help not to make a mistake and take into account all the necessary factors, and it is recommended to choose specific favorable days for sowing seeds and transplanting seedlings into open ground in accordance with the gardener’s calendar.