Hello dear people of Sadgrad! I want to share my experience of storing cabbage. We live in a village and there is no shop nearby where you can buy fresh vegetables at any time of the year, but you really want to cut fresh cabbage and crunch it in winter.
There are many ways to preserve the grown cabbage crop: canning, pickling, freezing. But the best way is to keep the cabbage fresh.
So, let’s consider what I have found out exactly in my life experience.
- • a large amount of cabbage stacked on top of each other;
- • too warm room;
- • storage of broken and deformed cabbage;
- • cleansing cabbage from leaves;
- • keeping cabbage warm in an apartment;
- • violation of the temperature regime;
- • too much humidity in the storage room;
- • lack of air circulation.
Recommendations for proper storage:
- • choose only whole cabbage;
- <br>• remove need cabbage in frost (not lower than -6);
- • save temperature condition from +2 to -3;
- • We send for storage only cabbage with all the leaves, maximum cleaning the dirt and removing the first three leaves.
We, taught by bitter experience, now do this only, because once failing to fulfill one of the points, we lost the entire grown crop.
It’s important… The basement or cellar must be prepared in advance!
- process the entire room with lime,
- sprinkle salt on the floor (to remove excess moisture),
- we leave air circulation,
- we leave the thermometer and moisture meter to track indicators;
These simple recommendations will help keep the cabbage fresh, as if only from the garden, right up to spring.
My fresh cabbage
I wish you success in storage.