In order for rabbits to be healthy, it is necessary to properly feed them, make timely vaccinations and destroy parasites. However, such measures are far from always effective, since there are still diseases that can occur in well-groomed and well-fed rabbits. Here we are talking about conjunctivitis, this is such a process when the eyes of an animal are given inflammation, all this can lead to the most negative results, the rabbit can even go blind.
Why does the disease occur
Proper treatment of such an ailment is complicated by the fact that there are a lot of reasons for it. For example, if a small mote gets into the eye of a rabbit, and the inflammation is small, then the animal can be helped on its own. However, if we are talking about infectious diseases, then parasites and viruses are already present here, while treatment can be long and difficult. The causes of conjunctivitis can be different, but the main ones are as follows:
- irritants of a mechanical nature, that is, just blows and injuries, foreign bodies, such as hay, insects, food, can also get into the eyes;
- chemical irritants, most often we are talking about the means that are used to eliminate ticks and fleas. Various kinds of cosmetics can also be irritants;
- infections of a viral and bacterial nature, they can be specific and those that affect the entire body;
- meals not organized properly. As a rule, there are not enough vitamins, and without them, the mucous membranes of the eyes simply cannot function normally. Dryness in the eyes, inflammation, cracks begins to develop;
- inflammation can be from other parts of the body, for example, when the oral mucosa, teeth get sick, it can also be rhinitis and otitis media. The causative agent of the disease can be scabies, when pieces of skin are in the eyes.
About the symptoms of rabbit conjunctivitis
Most often and in a more acute form, conjunctivitis develops in young individuals, the worst thing is when small rabbits get sick. To determine the onset of the disease, you need to pay attention to the following signs:
- rabbits move little, eat poorly, and most importantly, it is difficult for them to open their eyes, so most often they are closed, they constantly try to scratch them, prefer to sit quietly in a dark corner;
- tears flow profusely from the eyes of the animal, the eyelids turn red and swell, the eyelashes stick together. Soon, smudges of a dark shade form around the eyes, hair sticks together, the animal becomes untidy in appearance.
Then the disease can develop in different forms, and then the symptoms can also take different forms:
- if the form of the disease is acute (it is called catarrhal), then abundant mucous discharge is obtained, there are many tears, the mucous membranes of the eye membranes turn red and swell, as well as the eyelids and places around the eyes;
- at the onset of the purulent stage, a sharp, unpleasant odor is observed, the conjunctiva swells more rapidly, pus thickens in the eyes, brown crusts are obtained;
- the phlegmonous form is extremely difficult, the edema is very strong, the conjunctiva swells so much that it protrudes strongly;
- kerato-conjunctivitis is a form of the disease when the corneas of the eyes are also affected, they become cloudy, whitish or may turn yellow. If you do not carry out treatment on time, then a thorn can quickly form.
Treatment of such a disease
If the symptoms described above are found, then the first thing to do is to isolate the animal, then the cage is thoroughly cleaned, and then it must be disinfected. The eyes of the rabbit are inflamed, so they must be carefully rinsed with a special solution that has antibacterial properties. Then the animal must be taken to a veterinarian for examination, who can quickly cure it.
In order to better rinse your eyes, it is recommended to take potassium permanganate, a two percent solution of boric acid will also help. When treatment is carried out with solutions, they must be carefully prepared, the crystals in water must dissolve completely. If an undissolved component gets into the eye, then the case can end in a severe burn, which will greatly worsen the situation.
If we are talking about mechanical damage, then the sore eye should be treated with herbal solutions, it is recommended to use chamomile, black tea or calendula for this. Antibiotic treatment gives excellent results, but only if it is started on time. The ointment should be carefully laid behind the eyelid, for this a glass rod is used, and then it spreads with light actions to the entire mucosal membrane. If antibiotic treatment is used, it is very important to complete the entire course to the end, usually it rarely exceeds a week. The fact is that if the rabbit is not completely cured, his body simply gets used to the medicine, which makes further treatment extremely difficult, and the disease itself progresses in a chronic form.
If the nature of the inflammation differs in an infectious form, then injections with antibiotics should be mandatory. The fact is that if conjunctivitis is started, then the treatment will be long, its success cannot be guaranteed, and rabbits can simply go blind.
It should be noted that rabbits are by nature very sociable animals and almost always willingly contact a person. So, if just yesterday a cheerful and sociable eared animal suddenly sits quietly in the far corner, eats poorly, then this is a serious reason to be wary, such symptoms are no joke.
The fact is that with conjunctivitis, as well as with any other disease, it is extremely important to start treatment as soon as possible, then it will be successful and it can be done at home. If the disease is advanced, then treat conjunctivitis in rabbits even an experienced veterinarian is far from always able to do it, since conjunctivitis in a rabbit goes differently.