Winter varieties are resistant to autumn frosts and even the first snow. In the article we will talk about what features Amager 611 winter cabbage has and what purposes of its use exist.
Botanical description – cabbage belongs to late-ripening varieties, heads of cabbage are large, dense, weighing from 2,5 to 4 kg. Ideal for long-term storage.
Appearance – externally, the cabbage is large, the diameter is from 70 to 110 cm, it grows high above the ground. It has a round and flattened shape, leaves are wide, wavy at the edges, gray-green in color with a waxy tint. The surface is smooth.
Biologists have been breeding this variety for almost 20 years, starting in 1927. The result was obtained by sampling methods from the Swedish sample. The distinctive features of cabbage include: large forks, dense structure, flattened shape, high resistance to cracking, high need for abundant watering, long shelf life. The most interesting thing is that the gastronomic characteristics are only getting better.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any variety, cabbage also has its advantages and disadvantages. Among the significant advantages, one can note the ideal and long-term storage, the cabbage lies securely in the cellar during winter and spring. Amager is not afraid of late cold weather.
It does not undergo cracking even during heavy rainfall. Anyone who decides to grow cabbage will receive a stable harvest. Heads of cabbage are formed evenly, thanks to them it is comfortable to collect with the technique The vegetable does not deteriorate during long-term transportation.
The main disadvantages of cabbage are susceptibility to black rot disease, the inability to withstand prolonged drought and heat.
Naturally, there are many late varieties of cabbage, among which several can be noted, similar in their characteristics to the Amager variety.
- Moscow late is the oldest variety, which was bred in 1937. Has a high resistance to frost. The forks are large, dense, and have a long shelf life. Ideal for leavening.
- Valentina F1 is a new widespread variety, it is a late one. The leaves of this variety are juicy, sweet, without bitterness. Heads of cabbage grow up to 4 kg, dense. They can be stored until mid-summer.
- Extra F1 is a late-ripening variety that has strong immunity to many diseases. The size of the heads of cabbage is not as large as that of Amager, but they also lie for a very long time – until the end of spring.
How to distinguish from others?
Among the huge variety of other late varieties, Amager has distinctive features. Let’s find out how you can distinguish it from others:
- First you need to inspect the head of cabbage – its shape should be round, but a little flattened, the size is large.
- Then look at the shade of the leaves – they should be gray-green with an obligatory waxy bloom.
- Next, we check the shape of the leaves – they should be half concave, wide, slightly wavy. On close inspection, small teeth can be seen along the edges. The leaves should not be wrinkled, they are completely smooth.
- We look at the outer stump – its size should be 20-24 cm.
- When you cut the fork, it becomes clear whether it is tight or loose. Amager has it dense. You also need to check the color – inside the color should be white.
About this variety, we can safely say that the longer it lies, the better the taste – as indicated in the reviews of summer residents. The bitterness that is present in the leaves immediately after harvesting disappears after a month, only a pleasant taste remains and the juiciness increases.
After picking, cabbage should lie down and ripen. It is often used to create fresh dishes, as it lasts well until the end of spring.
Late varieties are ideal for sourdough and fermentation, because by the middle of autumn they accumulate a huge amount of useful components. Sourdough – in this case, the preservative is lactic acid, which is obtained naturally, as a fermentation product.
And the fermentation process itself is carried out thanks to the sugars that are present in the vegetable, as a result, a pure taste of the product is obtained – this is very useful for the body. You need to ferment cabbage in small oak barrels or enameled containers.
You need to store at a temperature of 4-5 degrees. Salting – thanks to the addition of salt, the process of reproduction of unnecessary bacteria is blocked. Salted cabbage is very useful, in particular, at the time of various viral outbreaks. It strengthens the immune system.
Amager 611 cabbage has been a popular variety for many years. She is loved and recognized for a rich and high-quality harvest, she does not create difficulties in care. Therefore, its seeds are bought by large farms for cultivation on an industrial scale, inexperienced summer residents, owners of small household plots.